Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Graduate ('s Outfit Hunt)

Apologies for not updating for a week or so- I had to finish up finals etc. Oh, and yesterday was graduation.

Hitting the topics: Outfits, Atlantic City, Critical Review of Tara Jarmon, Graduation

Ensembles worn during the last week of school:

Outfit One [sorry about the quality]~ Top: $6, Pants: $6 -- both from street vendors in Taiwan.
Outfit Two ~ Bubble skirt and Chain necklace from 2 entries ago. Theory Sweater- $17, Free People Cami- $13
Outfit Three [American Apparel-y?]~ Hoodie: $2 (Taiwan), Tank: $10 (Old Navy), mom's old Benetton skirt.
Outfit Four [Last School Day Morning]~ Blue Cami: gift, Tara Jarmon Cami: $15 [sale. story behind it later.], Express Top: $15, Ralph Polo Pinstriped Pants (some store in Maryland): $15





On Saturday, I went to Atlantic City with Soupi and her family- I haven't been there since 4 or more years ago when they still had the Ocean 1 mall that was basically a Ship jutting out into the Atlantic. I was kind of planning on going to the Factory Outlets there (Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, etc) but a few things happened and so I didn't get to go. *tear* I saw a whole lot of knockoff places all the while with Soupi was telling me how inhuman the human cart pushing job was and saying that the seagulls overhead were going to attack her. I bought toffee pecans. They were good but I think my teeth are rotting. I took a few pictures: the sky- I mean ceiling- at the Bombay Cafe in the Trump Plaza with Soupi's blurry hand messing up the picture, "birds on a wire", the Steel Pier [that I had never seen there before] & the Crazy Mouse, and steps up to the Trump thing. Lots lots lots of cute guys.






On the way there we spent like an hour at this Indian jewelry store in Rahway called Abson and it had the absolute best beads and crystals and pendants and oh god- it was purely amazing. I just wanted to buy them all. It makes me want to permanently take up jewelry-making. Each of these were $1.50 to $2.00. This is what I got:






Must find a way to use these. I love the goldstone pineapple. It makes me want to put it on a chain with a yellow square- like Spongebob- and just call it a day.

Lesson: If you pass an Indian bead and jewelry store, go into it. They're awesome.

Then on Sunday, I was looking for graduation dresses at Loehmann's- which had had a 40% off clearance sale since last Tuesday. Basically- the place was cleared. I found these super duper Paper Denim and Cloth jeans for like $10 [w/ discount] 4 different styles-- but the only ones were like grr...size 24- aka, like double 0, aka xxs. And the regular price dresses were a crapshoot too. There were these Sigerson Morrison flip-flops for like $8 [w/ discount]-- but how many flipflops does a girl need?

By then when I got home at 6:30, every single place was closed...except Target. And I was thinking about the Tara Jarmon collection and that I should probably check it out since I knew she had a colorblock dress and that she might have some other dresses. Long story short: bought a Tara Jarmon cami and wanted to buy these $10 Tara Jarmon jeans [a lot of choice items are on sale right now]until my mom talked me out of it. Or basically lambasted me out of it. And they have about the same wash as my Calvin Klein jeans. I may just go back and get it though...-insert maniacal smile- We were going to get this skirt for graduation instead since by then it was like 8 pm already, but I just couldn't justify spending $40 on a poorly-made -though very pretty- skirt that was too big for me (no other sizes). That's the same for about all the Tara Jarmon for Target items- very creative, but also very poor workmanship. Mom used to be a technical fashion designer for places like Tommy Hilfiger and Van Heusen and so she was muttering the whole time about how crappy the stuff was made and jabbering about the fit and stuff. And I actually agreed with her (gasp). I was going to try on that purple, green, blue dress number but the only one in my size had a broken zipper. Here's some photos of her line that I took-






The rose-coloured dress was very stiff and the shoulder straps kept falling. When I sat down it bunched up very unpleasantly near my crotch. The orange coat looks a lot better in real life. Trust me. And it's not made so bad. It's actually very nice.

When I got home I had to actually CUT these dangling cheap silk threads from the peach cami that I got. [all the camis were like that] I mean it's a beautiful top but it's horribly made. I kept snipping and snipping and I snipped all the way through the last half hour of Iron Chef. Then I realized that the thread wasn't fixed and so it kept unraveling which was just frustrating and then I accidentally snipped a bit of the main section of interwoven threads. Oops.

Then yesterday, which was a half day, I hit up Marshalls (nothing) and Macys (more nothing- it's the crappy Macy's in our town) and then Burlington Coat Factory, where- get this- I found ONE dress! There was only one suitable one. And thankfully it looked nice. The net underneath is quite scratchy but the dress is just pretty. Oh god, and there's something I must share...there was MARC JACOBS at the BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY- out of all places! Loehmann's still has pricey Marc Jacobs and stuff, but Burlington had like these MJ Tees and shirts for $13. THIRTEEN dollars. I used to dismiss Burlington. But now I can't. I mean. MJ. AT BURLINGTON. That doesn't even make sense. I must go back there.

Anyway, the dress rang up to be $35. Cheaper than that Tara Jarmon Skirt.

Then I got ready for graduation and paired the dress with these vintage orange-red Oleg Cassini heels I got off Ebay when I was on the Oleg high (see last post). My left foot was chafed like hell though. I need to say that I, myself, [since the time I abstained from animal skins] would never purchase any new leather shoes because of the ongoing cruel treatment of cows to obtain that skin, but if it's like 30-some years old...it becomes more of a matter of sustainability. I bought them for the designer (I mean...it's Oleg...my heart was about to erupt when I found them) and the beautiful, art-quality-ness, and the fact that they were vintage. I did not buy them because they were made of leather. I mean...I got freaking blisters on my foot from wearing them. And I have never ever ever gotten blisters before. Ever. For different people, there are different stances on leather. My recommendation is, if you MUST wear leather-- if you're one of those people that whines about your skin touching anything man-made, buy vintage leather. Personally, I would say items at least 20 years or older.

However, if you're very strict about leather and think it's disgusting, then good for you! I mean, honestly. That's the best-case scenario since there will be other people that will pick up unused cows that died for nothing at all and were collecting dust in some grandma's closet. I would also make a different circumstance for heels since though one can donate vintage leather casual shoes to homeless shelters etc- that homeless lady will probably not be needing to kill herself wobbling in some 3 or 4 inch heels.

http://www.cowsarecool.com/cows.asp

Anyway, all through the Pledge of Alligence and the National Anthem- all I could think about was my left foot.

Sucks to be me. Oh and I had lost my tassel so I had to borrow someone else's and the Class President forgot to tell us to switch our tassels to the other side. It's really a good thing that as the Class VP I didn't have to say a speech or anything like he did...I probably would have tripped on my way up and down the stairs with my blistered foot and screamed blasphemy into the auditorium. Oh! I forgot- The auditorium seats matched my shoes.

And I probably would have been very bitter and said Something like, "The Academy is like a second home to me. [cough] Only here could I have worked hard and have had nothing result from it. Only here could I have obtained a 105 on my math final and been happy for a millisecond before I realized that nothing would come from it. Only here could none of us get into a competitive college [unless of course, you're one of the top 10 junior fencers in the world]. Only here would the engineering teacher never teach and just give out packets every week from Wikipedia and then quiz us on them until we all fail. Surprise! Only here could only one person--" and at that point I would be dragged off the stage.

Oh, and what else made me mad? The principal said something that repeatedly irked me. While he was going off on the "Only here..." sort of speech, he said, "...Only here could there be perfect scorers on the SAT." Scorers. With An S. He very well knows that I was the only perfect scorer. And that I did get a 1600? Well it was no thanks to the school! I hate it whenever he or the Vice Principal say that. Like I could count at least 4 instances this year when The VP was showing these families around school and when he happened upon me, said- "And this is Gloria- she got a perfect score on the SAT." OR "...ah! This is Gloria- she got double 8's on the SAT." This prompts the mom and dad of the families to go, "Oooooooh." and this prompts me to smile and grit my teeth.

It's like false advertising. Also, The end of high school does not mean there will be closure.

After taking pictures w/ teachers, friends etc, I came home and did a little Salvatore Ferragamo ad campaign-y poses and some other pictures. Dad was busy yesterday and Mom's stomach was hurting so we couldn't go to these vegetarian-friendly Ethiopian restaurant in New Brunswick called Makeda's...hopefully we're going there for dinner tonight.

No laugh-y:









The final cut...




And that is how you rock red, white, and black. <3

(and not look like a My Chemical Romance cover)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger morgan said...

cool blog....
i heart all your pics

6:17 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Thanks :) I'm glad you enjoy them!

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one FANTASTIC outfit! And you look great in it.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home