Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I Am a Plastic Bag DIY.

So, everyone's heard of these bags, right? Of course you have!


Well, I'm doing this post because: 1. The blue US ones are going on sale in the tri-state area tommorrow, the 18th (woo-woo!) 2. And even though Anya Hindmarch's bag has been over-hyped and undergone publicity overkill, it still brings into light an important issue regarding the impact of plastic bags on the environment and they take hundreds of years to decompose.

Unfortunately, some who have been lucky to get these are just toting around the supercheap bags because they're designer-- instead of using them to replace plastic bags (take it to the market, etc).

SooOoOoo I did a DIY regarding getting some more mileage out of plastic bags that you might just have lying around!


Haha :) well they're not just for children, of course. It just sounded cute saying that. Anyway, why would anyone want a smock? Wellll, in case you need to do some light, but messy, indoor work. AKA baking, painting... And it's a good as a last-minute usage if you need protection for your outfit. :P

I entered the one above in a "Plastic Ain't My Bag" photo contest I found online! Thought it would be fun. To look at the other entries (and vote for mine if you like :P) visit here.

Alright! All you need is one plastic bag and a scissor, which after it's used, can be thrown away (hey, you got some more mileage out of it). It's incredibly easy and does a good job. The only con might be that the rustling is a bother-- in which case you can use a thinner, not as "crunchy", plastic bag.

And there's only two steps:

1. Flatten the bag right and a make slit cut on each side all the way down.
2. Pull it open and once more, flatten it out.

...and that's it! And if you widen out the strap where it's cinched (on some bags) it makes a cute little kind of perpendicular cap sleeve (if that makes sense...).



Then there's a second option, if you just need a quick coverage on the top. But in this one, you don't use all of the bag.

1. Cut along where the dotted lines are...and voila!

I decided to wear pink shorts...so you couldn't really see the little "coat-tails" so I outlined them. Pretty cute for a plastic bag, huh?

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Kira Aderne said...

Plastic bags must be over...

...lets see if it´s happens sooner...

a kiss

Thanks for passing!
your blog is so cool!

Kira

5:06 AM  
Blogger The Shoptometrist said...

Creative! I thought about heading to the Bowery Whole Foods to check out the madness (Anya Hindmarch was going to make an appearance), but it was raining like crazy. Did anyone go?

8:57 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Thanks!

I was going to go but...Urrrrgh! I should have known that these were going to sell like hotcakes given the much talked about block-long lines. I just thought the hype was over now and they might have prepared some more to sell.

I was going to check out the Whole Foods in Madison, but by the time I got the car back, 12:00, they were already sold out. so depressing... I hope I win that photo competition, it's my only chance at getting one! The harder something is for me to get, the more intent I am on getting it.

It's almost worse than the time I had to finish watching Grease 2 on TV so I missed a chance to bid on a Rebecca Taylor Leopard Print Coat at $40.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally love that anti plastic bag thing, I have one of those too!

Your blog is great!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Crazy! I just bought like 10 cloth bags :) I think its a totally gread idea tho, save the enviroment in a fashionable way!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I can't believe how much the bag is selling for on ebay it's outrageous, I still want one badly though.
Oh wow I love that tank bag so to say so creative.
Love your blog gloria ;)

7:21 PM  
Blogger Ella Gregory said...

hahahaha great post
its deffinately a new take on the idea

11:09 AM  
Blogger Diana @ So Fash'on said...

Well you certainly rock the plastic bag!
Go girl!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Weekly Blogette said...

This bag reminds me of Ray-Bans. For a while they were both out, but now they're back witha vengeance and trendier than ever.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Susana Rodrigues said...

great post :)
i have a shopping bag and i use it as much as possible!
xoxo
su

9:22 AM  
Blogger Eli said...

very clever!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home