Monday, August 20, 2007

Fall's Oxford Heel: the one thing you'll buy

For any fall trend, you can normally find a piece or two in your closet. For example, fuschia is supposedly to be big right now, and I'm sure we all have a piece of vibrant dark pink something in our wardrobes! Or if the cocoon sweater's back in, you probably have a large collared sweater already in your closet that you can work.

However, if there's one article from the list of 2007 fall trends that you probably don't have, that you might be purchasing, it is the oxford heel/ lace-up heeled ankle bootie. Chances are you don't have a pair (at least I don't! and I hardly see anyone wearing them), but with magazines and runways having been run full of them, they may just work their way into your fall closet.





I have thought high-heeled platform oxfords (& lace-up booties) can look, quite honestly, a bit...funky, and maybe not in the best way. But I admit they're growing on me... Of course, I prefer a thicker, lower stacked heel to a high oxford stiletto heel (which to me, looks like you're trying a little too hard...and for me, seems a bit impractical)



I also realized that in my post a few weeks ago on the effects of leather (which I hope you guys thoroughly read!), I should have included some non-leather, cruelty-free shoes. I just didn't want to make that post too long. So this post should cover answer that question as well: How do we get on this trend but be cruelty-free at the same time? Because, granted, this style is a bit unusual...not something you'll find too easily in a store. And if you do, it probably does contain leather/suede and over $150.

So yours truly has gone digging for some affordable (and animal-free) oxford heels. I think the most classic bet is the Charles Albert "Maggie" one.



And here are just some leather-free shoes in general that I've been digging recently (see? tons of options!) maybe one day I'll even post my shoe collection on here...



As always, a quick search on ebay with key words, "vintage" & "oxford" can bring up a choice amount of unique (& environmentally friendly) oxford heels-- if you must need leather.






mmm...I can already imagine how well it'll go with skirts and some shady opaque tights!

23 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

same! i started hating those oxfords, then they grew on me and now im looking for the perfect pair - it funny how things like that happen!

2:46 PM  
Blogger kmf said...

the oxford heel strikes me as awful, to me there is something sacred about the preppy oxford and it actually offends me to see designers sticking heels on them and calling it a trend (of course the vintage finds indicate that the shoe itself isn't a new concept)

..maybe if I see someone pulling them off smoothly I'll change my mind?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Same happens to me. First i say "I don't like this" but it usually ends up growing on me. My lae-up booties are leather-made and costed only like 150 'nuevos soles' (in american dollars that's like 45 'dollars'). We have also nine west stores here, but they're like the double (and more) of the price of mine and they aren't made of leather. $89 is a high price for peruvian economy =). o yeah, i can't afford it =P because i can buy with that money two pairs of real leather shoes or even three if a go to a cheaper store (=

x

8:04 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

oxfords are funky...but i sorta love them...

8:41 PM  
Blogger Susana Rodrigues said...

Hi Gloria :)
I like Twiggy very much but you are right "she seems to have just one look"!

About the booties: I love them :) and I'm buying at least one pair hehe.

I'm not buying any leather booties, there are plenty of stores who sell amazing free-leather booties (just like you've said)!

Luv
Su

2:22 AM  
Blogger Ellie Lee said...

yay!! lace up booties are just fab!!!!!!

haha anyhow thanks for d comment(:
went to the link and.. i dont know... i STILL dont really lyk them): and u're right! not many designers haf cruelty free stuff eh?

love!!

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they are kinda of cute, and I love the vintage ebay ones the best, in a retro school girl kind of way. I am off to search ebay now!

6:22 AM  
Blogger alexgirl said...

Oooh, good picks! I know what you mean about the bootie. I definitely don't have any in my closet already!
I am LOVING the ones in the middle (in the top row of pics, with the grey tights) they are 2 die 4.
But I like the cheaper cruelty free versions too.
Mmmmm... time to go shopping!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Kira Aderne said...

great shoes!!!!!


a kisssss

I would like to have all ;)

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them. I wouldn't wear them everyday. but i think they're chic.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Tru said...

I'm not into the whole oxford trend for me but I think it looks great on some other ppl. you make a good point though I doubt many if any of us have a pair in our closets

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them!!! I own three pairs and could own at least six more. I have embraced the trend whole heartedly and never looked back!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

i actually love oxfords they look amazing with tights!!!!

4:16 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

Nice post, I think the shoes look great on any person, but I don't like to see them on me :P.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Ella Gregory said...

those shoes are HOT
i adore this post
all the pics the way its laid out.... its all so pretty

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, I didn't have half the luck you did with ebay. Everything was far too menswear--I really love them as heels.

1:05 PM  
Blogger The Wannabe said...

Hey there! I noticed you're interested in fashion and thought you might like to check my new blog. It features great fashion picks at low prices. Prada is nice, but so is reality ;D

Check it at:

http://wannabestyle.blogspot.com/

ps; Excellent blog! I definitely love the trend.. along with all ankle boots!

See you around!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Diana @ So Fash'on said...

can't wait to get a pair!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Angela Ferguson said...

This is by far the greatest blog I have ever read! I have been waiting to find the perfect pair in NY next weekend. This for me is the most mouth-watering trend for fall. How versatile! I'll wear mine with minis & tights, skinny jeans & pants. Happy oxford shopping!

12:20 PM  
Blogger kati said...

thank you!!!! i had been looking all over for some nice oxford heels and couldn't find anything i liked other than shoes in thrift shops that were always too small for me. i was starting to think i was the only person into this trend! i found your post through google and ended up with the maggie shoes which are PERFECT. you are a lifesaver.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

angela, kati-- thank you guys for the comments and compliments!

It's sad as I made the post but still haven't bought a pair myself! I was crazy as well about this trend but now that I'm in SoCal (for the school year) I can hardly fathom wearing anything heavy or clunky...:(

but I'm so happy for you guys, and very happy that you [kati] purchased the cruelty-free maggie shoes :) (I must tell you though, in my experience with that line, their shoes run a size to a size and a half too big on me)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Britty Dautel said...

I just bought these great oxford-ish shoes from Naturalizer. They are really well made (aka super comfy).

http://www.naturalizer.com/shop_online/item_detl.asp?CID=dress&PID=lilliann&variant_id=858P97&Size=%25%25%25%2D%25

I got them in black but they also come in plaid and brown.

Love em with tights and dressses or skinny jeans!!

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know what brand those brown oxford heels are with the wooden heel? those shoes are really cool looking.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home