Monday, March 17, 2008

Put your Legs in the air. your thorough list and guide to legwear.

Allons, allons les enfants... (there's my french for you)

We have already established from the "legs part 1 post" the (or my) tights-leggings craze and why it's OK to have an obsession. I have pretty much scoured the whole world to find you guys every designed pair (subtle to bold), brands of leggings (high-end to low), and stockists possible (US to UK)- excl. the typical ones (AA, U/O etc). So, by the end of this post, you should you should be getting a degree in legwear. Of course, I purposely edited out some which were untasteful or unremarkable...so it's not just everything thrown together.
Sorry it took as long as it did to get this up...I've just really had to focus on my work, and it takes hours and hours for each post and it's quite labor-intensive and I don't get paid or anything out of it-- of course, except sharing my love with you guys! So sometimes it gets put on the back burner. I hope you enjoy this one though :)

outline for today's lesson (brands and online stockists):
no particular order

ktz c-neeon gaspard yurkievich DOSHABURI
hui-hui anntian TRAVESSIA
gallo WELCOMEHUNTERS
anntian OOGABOOGASTORE
bernhard willhelm SHOP FATAL
vivenne westwood SEFTON
henrik vibskov TRES BIEN
bernhard willhelm, peter pilotto SEVEN-NYC
gareth pugh, maison martin margiela, sonia rykiel, comme des garcons, BROWNSFASHION
shelly steffe, in god we trust, Seize sur Vingt REFINERY29
cheap monday TOBI
sonia rykiel, maria la rosa LA GARCONNE
gaspardyurkievich.com
welovecolor.com
celestestein.com


We Love Colors (...don't we?)

Let's start off easy, with We Love Colors. They're incredibly affordable [under $20]-- well, wait until you see other brands later on-- and uniquely cute! Not to mention, their designs come in a variety of styles, colors, materials-- footless, non-footless, knee-highs, thigh-highs, short socks... I'm especially in love with their splash color tie-dye effect design.




We Love Color in the Press [photos from welovecolor.com]


TIP: This photo demonstrates why you should layer your socks. besides that I do it, of course...that was a joke. [although I can't do that length-- my linebacker calves]

Celeste Stein has mine (heart, that is.)

Up-ing the amp some more is Celeste Stein. This woman, whoever she is, is kind of amazing. Her line offers 1000+ prints, all of which I thumbed through, and found my favorite styles, which I have posted below. Seriously, the possibilities are infinite. Some of these are so perfect, and why pass a chance up to make like a wooden doll with long-grained legs or wear your vice-- little chocolate confections-- on your sleeve? I mean, legs? Plus, you get an option of sheer, non-sheer...etc... These are also around the ~ $20.00 mark. Not bad, but it's kind of sad that if I wanted all these beloved prints I've checked off, I'd be dropping ~ $350 like it's hot. Sometimes too many possibilities leaves you a bit crestfallen. [note to celeste stein: please stop making me sad with all these choices! how can I pick between chocolate, blue-red plaid, and bubble explosion?!]


celestestein







explosion!


! Warning. We are now heading into High-end territory. !


Into Space we Go, Peter Pilotto


$127 (and that's on sale) @
seven-nyc

Slap on C-neeon

I like these for spring. They have crazier ones, but ehhh.


[in blue too!] 98 EUR @ doshaburi

Give Gareth Pugh, a Hug. [you know you want to]

These are sexy, atypical, but subtle and not too outlandish.


£55.00 @ Browns

Bernhard Willheim (is so fine!)

Are you looking at these? I mean, seriously, are you looking at these? I don't even know what those tie-back things should be called, but they're kind of awesome. They have their own genre.


$245 @
sevennewyork


100 EUR doshaburi


46 EUR @
doshaburi

Henri Vibskov (offers you the most expensive piggies in the world. and no, they're not for consumption.)

These are cute. And Henri Vibskov is in general, a genius. But I don't think these are worth $495.


$495 @
tresbien

Shelly Steffe makes legs look best!

Part tight, part legging, I think I covet these "leg skimmers" the most. Pretty unique, hard to recreate, they come in 3 different color combintations, and I love that creamy stripe running down the middle. These are knocked down to $90 from $180. Still out of my budget, but at least it's less than a pair of Citizens jeans, yes?


$90 @
Refinery29

I'm Fancyin
Anntian.

Gradient tights. Is there more to say? I like the way they fade away... $98 @ the
oogaboogastore.com [no I did not make that up]



Peekaboo, I see thee-- KTZ and Marjan Pejoski.

Self-explantory.


10 EUR (yes, 10) @ doshaburi


20 EUR @ doshaburi

Maria La Rosa, come a little closer

Gah! I'm going to drive myself crazy. These two just take the cake. The contrast leggings, and these...um, knee-sock things? I love how subtle, yet unique, they are. Sorry, I know, the drooling on the page is completely disgusting.


$80 and $98 @ La Garconne


Got an Itch for Gaspard Yurkievich.

One designer has been going above and beyond the call of duty for socks and tights. Typically, designers will put out a few, 1-5, legwear designs for any given season, if any, but Gaspard Yurkievich...well he's put out a lot. And I love him dearly for it!



Sweater Tights [black and gold ones-- !]


30 EUR @ doshaburi

From the F/W 07-08


range 17-35 EURO [half off already] @ gaspardyurkievich.com


CURRENT SEASON: Jury's still out on these slouchy socks...[they also have slouchy knee-highs for sale from 07-08 that I didn't post] I'm wary that they might make your legs look saggy and wrinkled. But I say, don't knock it till you try it. The colors look smart too.




.chain socks.




Proving Tamer is not Lamer. in fact, it's kind of cute and whimsical.

Sonia Rykiel--

£16.00 short striped @ Browns & long $27.50 (sale) La Garconne

Seize sur Vingt-- unisex?

$28 @ refinery29

In God we Trust-- [love the metal horsebit charm]
$20 @ refinery29

Vivienne Westwood--

On sale: £13-17 @ Sefton

Form-- stirrup legging! I love.

$77.
eva new york

Comme des Garcons--
I had no idea they made socks before. I think these are all men's socks. Well, men need their fashion too. Hm...maybe if you're a woman with big feet you can also wear it?

£20.00 brownsfashion.com

If I had a boyfriend. I'd make him wear these.

And now as we are winding to a close, we're Heading to the Gallo.s

Up close, these are actually incredibly shimmery. And all of these are on sale, kneesocks and kneehighs. They're half off, now around the $20 mark, except the footless tights ~$40. From welcomehunters LA. They're made in Milan and quite luxurious looking...




The Gallo's Boys Club [men's socks]


Psst. Betcha didn't know Cheap Monday made leg warmers. $23 @ tobi.com
[imagine these pulled over some nice tights or skinny skinny black pants]



And you can always look for more adorable, affordable choices at
freepeople and anthropologie. I love these! The layering possibilities...

I hope you guys find something minutely interesting in this whole post...once again, sorry it took ...er...weeks to get up! It's a lot of information. ;)
Need some more inspiration? Check out these FLICKR groups, and see how girls everywhere wear their legs. (or if you just want to see some artsy photos)
The Fashion My Legs... Pool
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tightsremix/pool
The Opaque (and Patterned) Tights Pool


____________________
action of the week [yes, I'm bringing them back]
____The Seal Hunt____




take a second to:

"Contact the Canadian Minister of International Trade, David Emerson, and urge him to end the seal hunt. The hunt is opposed by the overwhelming majority of people in Canada and around the world, and the Minister of International Trade, Mr. Emerson is in a unique position to stop it. But he must be convinced that the seal hunt damages Canada's economy and international reputation.Click here now to tell Mr. Emerson that the seal hunt is bad for the Canadian economy, bad for tourism, and bad for Canada -- and that it is time to end the commercial seal hunt for good." - Humane Society...
I was going to post a video clip, but then I remembered some of you get incredibly queasy, so I'm staving it off for now. But please at least take a few seconds to fill out the form! The message is already written out for you.

47 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

Oh dear, what a work. Really great.
So many beautiful tights.
I love those gradient ones.
But they are all up of my budget.
What do you think, this spring sheer color tights will be in?
I think opaque ones will be very heavy... what do you advice me, if I may ask.

xx

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! this is my first time ever reading your beyond fabulous blog and i'm rather impressed! obviously a lot of hard work went into this post for I had never heard of well, ANY of these fantastic brands, so thanks for enlightening me! i love the leggings with the intense patterns- chocolate? newspaper clippings? genius! we really must trade links! what do you think?

3:57 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

socks and tights are my fetish.

4:38 PM  
Blogger LDF said...

Holy Moly!
Long post!!!!!!!!!
I did some bookmarking there though.
I think I was in that Fashion My Legs
pool a few times-I wonder how many pervs look at that one.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Every time you post these I see myself going more and more into debt. I love the range of prints at Celeste Stein.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Nice post, I am enlightened! I really need to get my hands on a pair of gradient tights.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Secretista said...

I have an obsession with colored socks so this fufilled my addiction!

1:34 AM  
Blogger María said...

It's fien for me to exchange links ;)

4:25 AM  
Blogger a side order of style said...

i almost always manage to get runs in my tights, holes in my socks & lose one of each pair.
but i`m thinking that i really really want a pair of footless tights. see, i`ve figured that they seem thicker so they`ll be less likely to run, there`s already holes in them so i can`t create new ones, & they`re not technically socks so i might not end up losing one of the pair.
great blog, by the way. i read some of your other entries, & we`re going to link to your blog on ours, if that`s okay with you. :) cheers !
-jae

7:14 AM  
Blogger geri hirsch said...

wow! such a great post!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Cicely said...

Wow I love this post! I am actually addicted to tights, I think you've progressed me into the territory of socks aswell! Only just found your blog and I love it!

11:21 AM  
Blogger millicent said...

after a season of dull grays and blacks, colors are a nice refreshment
though i don't think i could wear socks in the spring heat. love the style though.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Mónica said...

I don't like leggings any more. In fact, I never liked them. I like the tights though, especially the ones with the dog next to them, yellow and brown

12:02 PM  
Blogger molly said...

wow some of those patterns are just soooo rad! great post

2:41 PM  
Blogger Camilla said...

I'm thinking about getting a pair from We Love Colors... but I have this love/hate relationship to the die... I'll have to think more about it :P

Interesting post btw. I really like your blog :)

3:01 PM  
Blogger maverickandlove said...

omg those are alot of tights! some of them are so electric! and some are so expensive liek the 400 dollar ones!!! and the second one (rainbow tights) look like theyre painted on!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Being from Canada this is my understanding of the Seal situation. The Inuits have been hunting and eating seal for hundreds of years it's a way of life for them up north. They live off the land it's what they have to eat so how can I be against it?

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Love the tie die leggings btw.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Jen--

In response to bringing up the Inuits-- I can understand your apprehension, and based on just the Inuits alone, I can see why you'd think it's absurd to condemn the seal hunt. I've looked at both sides, so I can understand where you are coming from. But, what you have pointed out is not the whole story, so I want to clarify ASAP that the large scale killings are not by the Inuits. "Sealing is an off-season activity conducted by fishermen from Canada's East Coast. They make, on average, a small fraction of their annual incomes from sealing—and the rest from commercial fisheries. Even in Newfoundland, where 90% of sealers live, the government estimates there are less than 6,000 fishermen who actively participate in the seal hunt each year."

Since the experts say it better than I can, (for I am no expert), here is another bit of information not to overlook: "The Canadian government deliberately tries to blur the lines between the commercial seal hunt, which is conducted by non-native people off Canada's east coast, and subsistence hunting by Inuit people in Canada's arctic region. But animal protection groups, including The HSUS, ARE NOT opposed to Inuit subsistence hunting. Canada’s commercial seal hunt is an industrial-scale slaughter conducted by fishermen from Canada’s east coast."

Also, the CEO of nativeradio.com, which is a station very intune with such concerns, even states,

"NativeRadio.com has always supported indigenous culture and causes. The Inuit have the sovereign right to subsistence hunt seals for food and commercial needs. The Inuit are not hunting baby Harp seals, but rather adult Ring seals. They also do not use brutal killing tactics, and are not decimating a species of animal.

Our fight is not with the Inuit, but rather the Canadian government and the commercial slaughter of baby Harp seals. The Canadian government likes to tell the world that this slaughter is "98% humane". The facts and documented evidence shows that to be an outright lie."

I'm glad you brought this up though, Jen, so I will try to do a post do clear up any misunderstandings that other people may have, or at least provide some more facts out there...the seal hunt officially begins in 6 days...hopefully I will have something up by then.

for more information, on comparison between the Dept of Fisheries 'fact sheet' of the seal hunt, and the HSUS's rebuttal [all are quoted directly from their published sheet] see:

hsus.org/marine_mammals/protect_seals/the_truth.html

to other people: first, arm yourself with All the information. then, make what you will.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

btw, the link I provided has an ".html" at the end, but it's kind of cut off. in case anyone couldn't see it.

also...if anyone's ever watch those seal-hunting clips, you can tell not a single one of the people commiting these large scale hunts is an Inuit. but, like I said, in any case, animal rights organizations have nothing against the Inuits, and DO agree that Inuits have a right to subsistence hunting.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

when i get to my laptop i'm bookmarking every link you provided. oh dear god i have a mountain of shopping to do and these tights are not helping my budget at all. xD

7:43 PM  
Blogger Carolina Lange said...

Wow! This is a super guide! Love it! I adore tights and your pics are fabulous!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Gloria - I thought you were going to bring up that, I was simply just talking about the Inuit side of things. I'm not familiar with the Newfoundland & labrador side so I can't comment too much but I support my government in whatever they think is best.
Maybe you should also crack down on what they are doig in Japan to the whales? I hear it's far worse.


:)

4:17 AM  
Blogger Kool Thing said...

What a great post! I think my favourite are the sheer slouchy socks. I'd love kicking about the house in them.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Clumsy Girl said...

I just recently found your blog it's so cool!
Plus I am very impressed I could NEVER write a blog as fab. and I think I might buy all of those leg wears!
GC,

6:37 AM  
Blogger Tru said...

cool tights. I have a tyed dyed pair. i should start wearing them

9:53 AM  
Blogger Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love the stuff from We Love Colors.
As for the fur thing, I'm also not of the human rights or animal rights, they're both issues we should be concerned with. An yes, not all the animal is used with most furs and skins--that's why I liked the one I had found that did use it all. And also why I prefer vintage pieces since more of the animal would be used then and oftentimes people even killed, skinned and ate their own animals. I have a friend who's father works as a taxidermist (sp?) and this is what their family do--they hunt for food and then use every piece of the animal. I just don't see how I can eat certain meats (rabbit, deer, etc) and then have a problem with other parts of those creatures being used for adornment in some way...
And, hee-hee, clearly I understand long comments. Even mine above seems to brief to really explain my viewpoint properly and it is a sensitive topic, since I'm not really for hunting or most of the means of fur acquirment (traps, beatings, farms, etc).

11:32 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Jen--

although what's happening in Japan is bad, the scale is not as bad as what's happening in Canada. I'm sorry if you feel I'm talking ill about your government, but even I can say that I don't agree that my own government, the US government, makes the best decisions. When I praised on your site that you questioned and dug deep, I also figured that you would not just accept what an authority (government) presents.

If throughout history, we all just followed thinking that out government knew what was best, I don't know where we would be today. I hope you at least read the information on both sides I provided, and I'm sure you did if you were intent on questioning both sides equally. I can't ask for more. :)

the clothes horse-- I completely agree! I have no qualms with that sort that your friend's family does at all. I wish this sort of more humane hunting was a more mainstream case, although it is unfortunately not. in that case I would suppose we do not have much disagreement between us.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Romeika said...

I love to accessorize with tights or knee highs, you summed up this post really good, with all these pics!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Woah, you made such a good job on this post, it's more than awesome. I love socks all of types and tights, i'll be wearing more of them for fall :), it's summer now and the climate is ugh so hot.

That welovecolors site is like heaven.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

aw, thanks =]

although i'm a bit over the whole tights thing, i have to say that this was a wonderful post =]

i would never have the patience to write all that.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Adele said...

omg that looooads of reserch!! im loving the socks over the leggings... i love the last 3 pics you posted :)x

6:49 AM  
Blogger Molly :] said...

Wow! Great work. I can see why it took you so long- there is ALOT of great hoisery ideas here.
I quite like the slouchy tights [not sure which brand they were from?] its just something a bit diffrent :) x

2:18 PM  
Blogger discotheque confusion said...

great post, some lovely picks!

the tie dye ones are great especially when worn in the right way.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Neekoh said...

Opaque/patterned tights are so bold! I think I'll have to start with the socks and work my way up. Great post though!

4:47 PM  
Blogger bronwyn said...

Amazing post, I am in love with the top colourful ones!!!!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Kira Aderne said...

so cool and fashion socks and tights! i really have to buy a new black one for me...

a kiss and a hug,
thanks a lot for passing by,

Kira

11:49 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

more awesome hoisery, you really are spoiling me;) and I linked you btw!

8:30 AM  
Blogger EvaAmarri said...

Hey great blog. Would u like to link?

2:07 PM  
Blogger e. jay said...

Alas, I find myself attracted to the most expensive pairs, lol. What a shame!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Diana @ So Fash'on said...

wow, what great finds!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Ane said...

OMG, just what I've been looking for.

11:42 PM  
Blogger AR said...

wow this must have taken forever... i never knew how many options there were to wear on your legs! i like your blog!

7:58 PM  
Blogger aizat.cinta.goddess said...

i love the trend..but this trend is not going to be last..love ur post darl!!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Diana Coronado said...

Nice tights !!

I'm signin' about the seals

1:34 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

I think I'm madly in love with this post.

11:31 AM  
Blogger queengilda said...

ooohhh!!! that's terrible! i love all of them and i can't afford no sh*t. pooh.

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home