Sunday, July 22, 2007

Guide to Fall 2007 Eyewear: The Conundrum

Guide to Fall 2007 Eyewear: The Conundrum
-hint, step away from the dark emo glasses.

My dad has always been at me (& scolded me) to protect my eyes- citing that good eyesight is the most important thing to maintain; take a 10 minute break every 30 minutes of studying/internet/TV, etc.. Designers must believe that to some extent as well, given the loads of ads in magazines for eyewear-- which are normally just brand filler ads (I believe) in between seasons.

However, it feels as if fashionable/stylish eyeglasses are becoming extinct-- at least among the younger set. More and more people are correcting their vision through contact lenses. Not many people I know wear glasses...mostly boys. And if they, girls included, do-- they either play it safe with plain, thin silver frames, or get one of the multiple "stylish" variations on the thick "emo" glasses. Yes, you know the ones I'm talking about.

Because, face it, that seems to be the only style save for 40's/50's "cat eye" and "half-rimmed"/"un-rimmed". Of which the latter is mostly for looking like you're not even wearing glasses, but can be cute depending on any whimsical frame details. I should know, cause I've had both: silver, half-rimmed cat eyes and two emos-- one with blue on the interior and a Jill Stuart, a yellow interior with crystals on the side (which I currently wear). My Jill Stuarts are really cute, but they look cuter on the coffee table than on me, :P. I normally wear them for driving and class.




I remember in Jr. High and high school, girls would be in the bathroom poking their reddening eyes out with contacts-- because in Jr. High, glasses were nerdy, and because in high school, it's just much easier and your face is much clearer without them. Oh, and I was the girl recoiling in the corner.

However, I've also had my moments where I've been leaning toward contacts. I do believe that natural beauty is the best and glasses can weigh down on that (well, they have a lot of personality, can take over your face and can change your whole look- good or bad) if you're the type that would have to wear glasses all the time. And *cough, glasses are not so good for parties...that's how I lost my silver half-rimmed cat eyes, shh* And it's kind of annoying to simultaneously switch between cute non-prescription sunglasses and glasses when the sun is out. I have to sacrifice my sight for protection.

We took my brother to the eye doctor a few days ago though and I think I may put off getting contacts for a bit longer. Yes, right when I think there's no way glasses are going to go past the overbearing emo frames or that the frames designer ads only seem to suit those of us with modelesque (is that a word?) features, I find tiny proof and the perfect solution amongst the rows of frames that says otherwise. And for those of you that have been wearing strictly contacts for a couple years now, it might be worth your while to invest in a pair of frames to pull out at times to transform your look (in a good way).



Oh, to be a model and pull off these pink Alessandro Dell'Acquas!

So all the frames are wacky or dark? Well, the only logical solution is to brighten it up for fall! Not like, neon green bright, but colors to lighten up the face, or vibrant colors that'll stand out against your hair color. I especially fell in love with these D & G thick white frames (I'm imagining a girl with a high, slick-backed ponytail)-- a bright spin on the typical dark emo ones. Oh, and typically, dark frames really REALLY seem to crowd in on ethnic girls who aren't lighter skinned. White glasses for fall are an everyman's or everywoman's frame. I tried them on and I lovedddd them. Plus, they really stand out against my black hair.

There was also another pair that stood out to me, that I didn't dare try on because they were fixed high on a pedestal behind a glass case like in a museum or something. They were these silver half-rimmed Pradas which were light, very non-intrusive on the face - slick but normal - but then provided a zap of color in the form of a bright red on the arms of the frames. It would also stand out great against my hair, but not interfere with my face's Asian skin tone. So, hence my theory that fall is also great for arms with vivid colors that stand out against the color of the hair instead of crowding the face. Simple but grand solution for glasses that'll complement your face (non-intrusive) and your hair (the arms' stand-out pop of color).



Of course, I doubt all of you have black, or if I want to be fancy, raven, hair. So, I took a color wheel and started trying to figure out which vibrant colors would go best with which hair tones: black with a vibrant red, brunettes with a eye-catching violet, redheads with a richer purple (see LL on the right- who actually looks good in it), and blondes with a bright cobalt blue (which is actually a pretty hot color now) or even a bright baby blue (but for spring). And of course, white is the everyman's/woman's frame.


Depending on your computer, the colors on the chart may not show up right (which is why I wrote the descriptions)


Now if I can cut back on my clothes and shoes spending, I might be able to muster up some cash for the D & G's or the Pradas...(well, in my dreams).




Some Savvy Girls Who Know What I'm Talking About:







photos from Prada & Meatballs


The D & G 1103B and Prada 51GV







________________________________

__Oh, and about last Friday's A Model Life___

For those of you A Model Life watchers, (I haven't forgotten!) I did watch Friday's weight issues episode. I love Lucia and I hate that they're pressuring her so much about her weight even though the nutritionist said she's the healthiest of the bunch. I'm still pulling for her. Other than that though, unfortunately, the episode wasn't very interesting : ( I can only conclude that either the producers are editing out any altercations and bad personality bits between the girls or American girls are just more rowdier, catty (ANTM models), and more antagonistic (lol!). I know I wouldn't mind a little bit of excitement...but I believe I'm going to continue watching it because A. I want to see how my two favs, Lucia and Valeria are doing, and B. It's a good show to watch while exercising. ;)

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kira Aderne said...

I love this model of eyewear!!!

mine is brunnet!!! i love it!


a kiss

FF!

KIra

11:47 AM  
Blogger Diana @ So Fash'on said...

Love the miu miu ones!

12:51 PM  
Blogger alluretone said...

i went shopping for some new frames recently and it was sooo frustrating! anyways, i finally settled on a brown oscar de la renta one, very similar to your jill stuart. i love the ones from alessandro dell'acqua and miu miu btw!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Ellie Lee said...

haf been wearing contacts and haf wanted to play it safe by choosing a plain black metal rimmed one.

owell. now i'm considering=p but i'd prolly choose d plain one=p

thanks for yr comment!!
and as for charles and keith..
i think tt they can be found in Singapore and malaysia only.. yupp.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the miu miu glasses that Lindsay is wearing. They're gorgeous.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Kira-- Thanks! You seem to understand where I'm going with this.

Diana-- I know! Somehow I don't have that same distaste when LL modeled for the Jill Stuart campaign...

alluretone-- thanks for dropping by! I rather do like frequenting your blog. Congrats on your oscar choice, and I love the ones from alessandro and miu miu too (but their styles and colors are just a bit too heavy for my face)

penelope-- Going for a plain one is totally cool! But I think a little pop of color in the arms are nice.

kim-- I agree, I hope some redhead out there picks it up!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, I'm an Optician at a high end boutique. A few words of advice: Use caution when choosing a white frame.Don't pick a white that is brighter than your teeth. Whites are best on olive complexions, but can wash out the alabaster. If you have pale skin pick a warm vintage coral frame. Greens are truly my fav flattering nuetral. Though not for the timid,they coordinate well with any color you wear, (think of the stem of a flower,it never clashes with any shade of petals). Here are some links to a few of the best eyewear designers this fall. They don't have clothing labels, eyewear is their thing. Only the fashion elite recognize their names, prepare to be dazzled. By the way,these are their summer collections. High end eyewear designers don't release fall/winter collections until October. PS-These are not much more expensive than your mass produced "Gucci" or "Versace" frames,they just wear and look SO much better.
http://www.faceaface-paris.com/
http://markus-t.com/
http://www.robertmarc.com/press/personalities/julianne_moore.asp

6:23 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Hi Bethany,

Thanks for stopping by :)

I really appreciated your comment! It's always good to have an expert's opinions on hand. All your points were really valid (and I loved the explanation about the green stem though I don't really think of it as a neutral. However I'm hesitant on what shade would look good on my semi-tan asian complexion).

I checked out the links too, and I do agree! Face-a-face's frames are quite nice.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home