Friday, August 24, 2007

My Two F/W 2007 Idealisms [+ thrifting lessons]

I don't know about you, but sometimes I have a distinct look that I'm imagining for myself for a season. I have had two such images in my mind for a while, one fall look and one winter look:


Fall- British Countryside Romantic Indie Girl.
Winter- Chic, Sleek, Mod Minimalist.

Haha! I know, you're either thinking I'm insane...or insane. ; ) Wait, it gets better..

So I decided to do a bit of sketching since I have had these two looks taking up valuable vacancy in my head.

My high school never offered art so don't get your hopes up! I also included my own ideal color palettes for fall and winter. Brace yourselves:


British Countryside Romantic Indie Girl

I couldn't quite get the hair right. It's supposed to be messy-wavy, tied back with a few clips in a bun. on each side, two sections of hair braided back. Of course, I don't really expect to achieve this hairstyle...I'm not too good when it comes to that. And as I will tell you in an upcoming post on my F/W obsessions/trends, for fall I'm loving that rich caramel /cinnamon color (so much personality!).

Chic, Sleek, Mod Minimalist

Um...this one did not turn out as well, I mean, drawing-wise...it was based of an idea of an outfit I put together using one of our felt piano dusters (that what it's called?) as a semi-scarf. I mean, haven't you ever wondered? They're quite cute with the zig-zag edges...they are soft but hold up their shape pretty well so it's supposed to stick out at the ends to make for an interesting silhouette.

I tried to draw a face on it in Microsoft Paint so it would look more feminine...not quite sure if I achieved it. So figuring I'd have better luck I made a complete Microsoft Paint picture of the outfit I was thinking of, along with a T-shirt dress version; it's supposed to be a loose-fitting dress, but I also drew one (last photo- middle picture) with where the bottom of the bust is so you can see where the scarf is supposed to end.



OK, no?

Thrifting for those fall looks

So I went down to Red Bank about a week ago and they have some nice thrift shops there so I thought I'd do some thrifting...to be honest, my past experiences have been rather...eh, bad with thrift shops. But Red Bank has some good finds! Some great things that I haven't pictured: black sequined shorts, a red/gold brocade party dress, and a fuschia day dress (missed some buttons).

Anyhow, so I went thrifting with those two ideas of Fall/Winter looks in mind...and somehow, I wound up with a spread of items very Marc Jacobs- Louis Vuitton 2007 F/W- painter-esque. Especially with all the blouses I bought and that vintage (cloche?) hat! Surprisingly, it stays on my head very well (I wonder what year it's from!).


MJ's Louis Vuitton 2007





Photo Op w/ Hat
.


O-ho-hoh! Like a stereotypical early painter, oui?


Went in with one idea and come out very MJ-LV painter. Strange, right? But it can definitely be layered into the fall look I had planned out. The palette is certainly very fall 2007.
My total was: 3 belts (1 Coach) = $3
Lace hat = $9
3 blouses (2 silk) = $18

= $30

Not bad, if you ask me! Photos of my haul:




Paired with belts



The 5 Golden Lessons I've learned from thrifting:
1. Go with a specific idea/overall look in mind. Or else you'll be a bit overwhelmed about how you're going to work everything into an outfit.

2. Don't be scared of large sizes! At least when it comes to blouses; they fall naturally and nothing's wrong with a loose, flowy fit. One of the blouses I bought was extra large...I've been obsessed with tie-neck blouses as of late (I'm typically size 2) at least it's great for achieving that flowy MJ-painter look. On the same note, do not be scared of shoulder pads! You can snip them off later (that's what I did...and I may even be reusing them in a sewing project).




3. Do not automatically void a piece because of what size it says it is! Vintage sizing is different than contemporary; try anything you're curious about. I had one blouse which read size 14, but it fit like a small-medium.

4. If you have bought anything silk, hang it up right away, or else it's going to distort into whatever shape it was thrown into the bag. I learned this the hard way with two of my blouses... they got so wrinkled! (Tip: If you want to wash something silk and can't do drycleaning, you can wash it with some shampoo--but if you do dryclean, go to a green cleaner.)

5. BYOB. Best to Bring Your Own Bag-- the shops I've been to reuse their bags, but bring your own in case.
Anyways, I'm out, peace and love as always!

27 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

you have a lot of talent - those drawings are very good!

and i absolutley love your vintage finds - vintage hats are the best and i always wonder too where they're from and who wore it - its fun isnt it?
:)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Eritia said...

ah, i absolutely adore your blog, and your vintage hat! I'll defenitley link you on my page.

oh yeah, i love your header!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Fashion Fleur said...

i love what you found!!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I'm so jealous of your new vintage clothes!!!!!!
Love your pictures also, I wish i could draw like that but i'm not that talented;)

4:25 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Great finds and I ljust love the hat you mentioned on my blog. It is very painter ish! Those blouses are great too and loving the tips for thrifting.

Your sketches Are lovely, I love the ccolours you chose for the first outfit especially.

In response to the message you left on my blog, Yes Mischa did look gorgeous in that cover and I still love her! I felt a little bad about using that cover for the post.

4:55 AM  
Blogger seasideindanger said...

another fashion blog? cool.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I think your first look is adorable, and I adore the hat you found. I think it'd look wicked if you wore it slightly askew, at a 'jaunty' angle I guess!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Romeika said...

Wow, fabulous blouses! I wish i had more vintage garments in my wardrobe, but i'm really behind on that. The hat is so original, and about those hats on LV collection, i think that's what you call beret hats. The cloche hat is another kind:-)

Thank you for passing by, and for the sweet comment on the photos.

-x-

12:15 PM  
Blogger Carolina Lange said...

That hat is fantastic! I love the blouses, so beautiful, great colors!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You found some awesome buys! I like your ideas about planning and shopping accordingly.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Alexa said...

yay. i love thrifting tips, and you found some lovely stuff. and your drawings are fabulous. i love the fall scheme!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Ella Gregory said...

wow i love this post
it had pretty much everything you could fit into one post

3:24 AM  
Blogger Sarah Carson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love everything you got! its the perfect look :) your drawings are pretty great, I think you have talent. I took a semester at FIT and mine are terrible, you can see some at tdcdesigns.blogspot.com

6:25 AM  
Blogger Kira Aderne said...

Sofisticated clothes!


a kiss

1:07 PM  
Blogger Moose on the Loose said...

love your blog.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Ellie Lee said...

the drawings are fab and the clothes are even better!! hehe

anyhow thanks for d comment(:
haha u seem positively shell shocked abt the giordona thing=p hehe
the a few sizes larger logic.. hmm. perhaps they only wrk for tees!!!

love!!

12:58 AM  
Blogger cotton candy said...

the vintage hat!! oh! you must wear it as much as you can! it's gorgeous!! =D

4:24 AM  
Blogger Diana @ So Fash'on said...

great post:) love the blouses! umr

5:39 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

I love your drawing, the ideas are fab!

Oh and the cloche hat = love

5:54 PM  
Blogger Susana Rodrigues said...

your sketches are so cute! oh and so is your hat :)
***

4:41 AM  
Blogger Sebastian Perinotti said...

thanks for the comment!

luv ur blog:)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Weekly Blogette said...

I like the romantic indie look best
p.s.check out my new post!

6:27 PM  
Blogger miss vintage love said...

I LOVE those blouses!! Nice work!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Your sketches are sooo cute! how come you say you're not good at art?, those drawings are awesome!

Your new new finds are so cool, those blouses are so pretty!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great shirts! Lovely!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice collections.very jealous about that.Very nice pics.Very helpful for all latest fashion lovers.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home