Friday, January 04, 2008

New Year, New Designer + liquid "leather"

gloria here.
first, happy new year!!

second, i'm sorry [for not updating]!! This last semester has been of the hellish variety. And I wanted to kick back-relax for the beginning sprigs of the holiday break.

third, we have much to catch up on //// so warning: this post may be all over the place.


what have I done since you last saw me?
++ basically, study. that's all I did. study, break down, go to sleep, repeat. I swear, monthly magazines sent to my dorm were completely untouched.

what significant things have I purchased?
++ huge obsession with legwear so bought hella lots of tights and socks. (but not footless) I was so saddened when eva new york sold out of those marjan pejoski owl socks. I kept waiting for them to go on sale (hello? poor college kid cannot spend $40 on tights), and by the time eva new york had their big sale they were already gone. Also, a spankin new McQ bandana dress [so gorgeous; I only had to pay ~$70 because it was on sale and I had won a shopbop g/c], an amazing AMAZING new beaded Tocca gown, from a discount store for <$35, which I'll never get to wear unless I'm throwing a swank soiree at age 30 or run for Miss. Taiwan or Miss. America (neither of which is likely to happen), it's completely animal-friendly, not even silk. Also bought a pair of vintage caramel colored YSL heels via ebay <$30, and most recently a sparkly vintage Vivienne Westwood fannypack (yes, I said fannypack) that I wear as a purse <$30. I'd show you all my photos and outfits I put together around them but ditzy me left my cam in CA. Oh and at an LA BDB sale I recieved a $90 mustard, viscose Chloe skirt discounted from...like $1000 [no joke] courtesy of my aunt.

what have I been listening to?
++ not that you guys care, but lately I have retrograded to a wide spread of older music: duwop, swing, stuff like jay & the americans, frank sinatra, the temptations, beegees, tony bennett. and george harrison, beatles stuff. and sometimes it's just too exhausting to keep up with new 'hip' artists. was that awkward? I sounded like an old man. hey you know what's really awkward? Sitting in the car with your mom while the radio is playing a cover of the syncopated dance mix version of the popular 60's hit, "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini". Anyway...onto actual content >>>


With a new year comes a new designer (not new as in "new on the scene" but new as in "a new designer that I like"). It's more of a reference to her fall 2007 line that this post is about, but in an excuse for not posting beforehand I'm saying bitter january winds make it just as applicable. I am bumbling about Daryl Kerrigan's line, Daryl K. On the hunt for that pleather caramel-camel jacket which I never found but studiously scouted for every waking moment, I came across her magnificently made "liquid leather" jackets. aka they're not really leather, but they look like it, in fact, honestly, they look even better. It's a true savior in this Mike & Chris world. Are you a new reader? Wondering why does this even matter? Read this post.


So I contacted someone from Daryl K who said: "That leather-like material is a sheened synthetic fabric we deemed 'liquid leather'". It's also from Japan. I was not told if they have a certain policy on fur and leather but later on I found that they sell a suede bomber jacket on their site so I'm guessing they just like the look of this japanese fabric. I do too; the sheen is way nicer and no amount of chemicals you treat with actual cow-hide could possibly produce that sheen. no offense cows. *hug*

Anyhow, Daryl Kerrigan's faux-leather jackets and dresses look incredibly phenomonal. They are also, as expected, phenomonally pricey. The sales do knock off the prices considerably well though, especially on Shopbop. See for yourself:



Daryl K is sold online at: darylk.com/shop, activeendeavors.com, barneys.com, bluefly.com, EvaNewYork.com, LaGarconne.com, theMilkshop.com, shopbop.com, tg170.com, HampdenClothing.com. + they have a storefront on 21 Bond St [NYC].

Intriguing tidbits on Daryl Kerrigan: Dublin-born, she moved to NY and used to sort second-hand clothes for thrift-shop dealers. She opened shop in the East Village in 1991. She became famous for "the perfect pair of jeans" she designed: boot-cut hipster jeans. She also has a diffusion line called K-189. She won the CFDA Perry Ellis New Talent Award for womenswear in 1996. She started doing runway shows in 2000. But the Leiber group stopped distribution of her Fall 2001 collection and closed her stores. She fought and repurchased the rights to her name and label and has made clothes every since and has lived happily ever after. The End. [info- designerhistory.com]



Cruelty-Free leather looks from her Fall 2007 show [I think the most sophisticated of all her shows]


My favorite out of her of her spring 2008 show [unfortunately, a rather disappointing show], and two favorites from older collections.


Oh and I'm in love with her red vinyl leggings. [$290 darylk.com, ouch!]


See mon amis? You don't need to feel bad wearing "leather" when you're with Daryl K [some of her jackets do have silk linings though]. It doesn't have to be a painful fashion statement. I used to have this innate averseness to leather jackets but I think Daryl K cured me. [well I still have an aversion to real leather jackets. I even joined this facebook group called, "Unless you're Brad Pitt, don't wear a leather jacket"]

Some more pricey, not cheaply made, faux-cowskin designer outerwear


I promise to update again real soon! kisses and hope your break is just as nice as mine! : )

13 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

I absolutely share your love of tights, so much variety! And I am looking forward to seeing that Chloe skirt.

x sara o

3:11 PM  
Blogger TheClocktowerForest said...

PVC tights are rad but I don't know if I can pull them off myself. A black pair could be a possibilty though.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the red leather leggings! Ah, feet are so in on legwear this season, and I'm glad :)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

you haven't updated in so long haha
I kept coming to your blog and nothing
this is a great post to start with i love all the pictures, especially the almost latex stuff not sure if i could pull it off, maybe at a club or something!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Joyce said...

A happy new year and your right about the leather jacket thing! :)

3:24 AM  
Blogger molly said...

yes yes i linked you!

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving the shiny leather look...

9:40 PM  
Blogger Ella Gregory said...

Happy new year
I really like Leather and PVC they have a nice edgy look

2:43 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

thanks for the comments!

okay, before this gets misunderstood, I'm seeing from the comments that some of you think they are real leather, it is fake fake fake [which is why I'm writing about it after all :)]

7:52 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Daryl Kerrigan's designs are so edgy, I love it! I want to see pictures of your purchases, they sound really awesome.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Carolina Lange said...

I love leather! So many nice looks1
Happy New Year!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

leggings leggings leggings - again this year and so not fair for some!

3:08 AM  
Blogger Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

Imp F.B.A.

voting has been moved up to Feb 1st.

Thanks!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home