Friday, March 07, 2008

Unisexy w/ Brian Lichtenberg

Lucky for you guys [jk], I'm just going to bite the bullet and put up the B.L post now seperately. Plus this way I won't be feeling guilty all the time before my o-chem test!

So although I had heard of the Brian Lichtenberg before, I first zoned in after I saw his gold-panelled leggings...you know, cause of my minor obessession. He designs for both the ladies and gents, and you might have heard of BL since he's famous for dressing M.I.A [Paper Planes was stuck in my head on a loop a month ago] and Peaches. And he's also been in Nylon Magazine, Paper Mag, and most recently, Oyster Mag.

But he's not all flash...



[looks from spring/summer collection...don't you just dig the dress? it's even cuter in spreads]


Anyway, he was gracious enough to give me an interview, which I took full advantage of, of course. And here is the fruit of my labor (does that sound strange?). Enjoy!
[brian lichtenberg, pictured below]

The much feared question...what inspires you? (in general or as of recent)

My spring/summer collection was inspired by slime, slimer from the ghostbusters, toxic waste, and how clothes could morph if effected, drip and warp. fall/winter is a bit of a surprise until I show during la fashion week this spring.



What draws you to work with those graffiti-like graphic prints, neons, and holographic materials?

Definitely my childhood, growing up in the 80s/90s, fantasy and adventure movies of that era, my obsession with sequins and anything shiny and or reflective.

In high school you were the kid who _______________.

Dyed his hair every color of the rainbow and then some. I was voted 'most original' and people thought I dressed weird. I've definitely mellowed out since then.

Have any advice to those who want to pursue any career in design?

If its in your heart, go for it.

I hate the idea of exclusivity...but Who is the girl/guy that buys B.L.?

I've noticed that alot of the people that wear brian lichtenberg are style icons, fashion forward kids and free thinkers/artists...lately its been alot of guys but when I started making clothing 8 years ago the majority of my clientele and the things I made were for women so the flux of sexes is interesting as I make more unisexy type items now.

How did you get your business going?

My friend had a shop in la where he allowed me to sell anything I made, I worked up confidence after positive feedback from friends and customers and good sales to shop it around locally and make a bit of a name for myself. I used to make everything myself and mostly one of a kind up until a few years ago, I still do alot of one-offs and customwear as well.

What are your Fav haunts in L.A?


Downtown la, I feel like its my second home. My friends gallery/boutique called New High (M)art that features the work and enviornment installation by a different designer every 6 weeks, and also I love the club Mustache Mondays downtown at Charlie O's, they play the best dance music and have performances every week.

One Random question: do you have any pets? (names? type?...)

No pets now but when I was growing up I had pet fish and a fire bellied water lizard that was so cute. Oh and also a cat named taco. //


drool.... if I could afford these [$170 per pair] with my college student budget, I must certainly would splurge...maybe some of you out there are more lucky :)



where BL is sold:
http://brianlichtenberg.com/?section=stockists

(gold panelled leggings sold
KIN on sunset blvd and JOYRICH on melrose.)

35 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

The shoes are so amazingly edgy, I would kill for a pair myself.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

that swim suit is to die for! I want it soo bad

7:34 AM  
Blogger Kira Aderne said...

so glam, so disco...i really like it!!!

a kiss and a hug :)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Carolina Lange said...

I agree with Kira Fashion, so glam and so disco!
Love it!!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Molly :] said...

The dress & the leggings are both AMAZING. :)

Would you like to exchange links? x

10:14 AM  
Blogger LalaLiu said...

such a cool interview! I wish I had your amazing blog skills to get designer interviews!

Love the leggings!

p.s, not to sound stalkerish (lol), but your dorm room looks a lot like mine. i think we have identical dorm furniture :D

1:42 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Those tights are freaking awesome! I don't usually particularly care for tights, but um, these are different! I can make room in my closet for these!

4:17 PM  
Blogger ediot said...

really like the tshirt. great post!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Kira Aderne said...

hey, you are in my links of the day!

a kiss and a hug,
dear :)

11:45 AM  
Blogger millicent said...

not really my style, but i like what he's doing, and some of the stuff is cute i would wear it. i first heard of him on cory kennedy's myspace .. haha

2:12 PM  
Blogger anna. said...

well his stuff is amazing the bathing suit is very edgy.
i dont mean to sound , well, dumb.
but how did you get an interview with him?
are you like a "real" write/journalist/reporter. thing?
hahaha.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty much WANT the leggings, they are my new crave..:)
[[ps/thanks4commenting]]

6:58 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Love love love his designs - especially those four pictured at the top! Why are they so damn expensive?

7:19 PM  
Blogger LDF said...

I like that dress that just covers the important areas!!!!
Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring you those leggings.....

7:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

god, my love for leggings is not getting any smaller (or more affordable!) le sigh...

thanks for the comment on my blog, btw. =D your blog rocks.

8:02 PM  
Blogger meliindaa. said...

i love your blog
and the cutout swimsout..
..is awesome!

thats a cool interview/opportunity! [to interview him, i mean]

8:03 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Thanks for your entry! The idea of metallic leggins for men is interesting. Perhaps I'll be lucky, to see one man wearing this style...

2:38 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

Is that Naomi on one picture?

3:09 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

wow i love those shoes and the tights are amazing too.
thanks for coming, i posted something right now if you want to comment it ;)

4:58 AM  
Blogger Kool Thing said...

The shoes are so cool! I guess BL is one of those people we all knew but did know we knew?! He's such a creative person and a great stylist.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Kool Thing said...

He kinda looks like Patrick Wolf actually! Also, I love your profile picture with the red shoes. It's really pretty.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Kira Aderne said...

thanks for posting me back!

a kiss and a hug,
keep in touch!

Kira

12:01 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

great post

thank you for checked my blog and left a comment
feel free to come back

I'm liking your, that I didn't know, so I'll check often

3:42 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

First of all, you have such a lovely site.

Those leggings are to die for, I feel so bad but I had never heard of him, but he seems pretty cool. Wicked interview also.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I love the leggings, but I love that his other stuff is just as good. Great cuts and shapes

10:14 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Great interview, I so so want a pair of those leggings!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Adele said...

wow thats a amazing! great post! i love the swimsuit! amazing work!x

7:34 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Those leggings are absolutly INSANE, I love them...great post...Xxo

11:13 AM  
Blogger molly said...

great interview!
i love that he doesnt take fashion too seriously!

12:02 PM  
Blogger e. jay said...

I love the leggings, so hot! Can't wait for you next post! Thanks for commenting on my blog by the way! Hope you don't mind that I linked you :-)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Secretista said...

So glam, so lovely! If only I too, on a college student budget, could afford these.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

I think the resounding responses were something like, "the cuts are great" and the "leggings are amazing". I agree-- especially on the cuts...I can't wait to see his line for next season! I hope there's many more intriguing cuts.

emma-- I love the swimsuit too...it's so unique-- but I think it's a little too risque to wear at the everyday beach. it's very hollywood glam though!

lalaliu-- that's really funny! It's hard to inject some style into a dorm too! My chair is from filene's, and my wallpaper is from old navy. I've always wanted to do a sidepost on dorm decorating...

anna-- well, no. I'm just an average girl who though his line was superchic and thought it would be cool to feature him on the site.

iron chic-- unlikely, but I will keep an eye out for the easter bunny. :P Let me see...5 more days..

kool-- thanks for the compliment :)

...and I suppose the hair draws some similarity!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Yas said...

nice collection of leggings here!

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love love brain i mean brian too. found some lichtenberg on shrinkboutique. love your blog!

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shoes are BALENCIAGA!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home